The Academy’s accrediting agency has mandated that students who take online tests must do so with the appropriate identification and supervision. In order to meet this requirement, the Academy requires that students use ProctorU.
ProctorU offers live internet proctoring via webcam. This service affords students the opportunity of taking tests in the comfort of their own homes, at their own computers, without incurring the costs of paying for a human proctor. The general cost for using ProctorU is covered by tuition.
Students who choose to use the “Convenience Scheduling Options” (scheduling an examination less than 72 hours in advance with ProctorU) will be assessed additional fees. These additional fees must be paid by the student and will be paid to ProctorU, online by debit or credit card, at the time the student registers for the examination.
Students must create an account on ProctorU’s website. Before scheduling an examination students must verify the technical requirements and test their computer equipment.
To be successfully proctored by ProctorU, the following technical requirements must be met:
System Requirements for ProctorU
- PC Users – Minimum Windows XP Recommended Windows 7
- Mac Users – Minimum Mac OS X or higher Recommended Mac OS X 10.7 Lion
- Web Camera 0 Minimum 640×480 Resolution Recommended 1280×720 Resolution
- Internet Download Speed – Minimum .768 Mbps Recommended 1.5 Mbps
- Internet Upload Speed – Minimum .384 Mbps Recommended 1.5 Mbps
- A microphone (sometimes web cameras have built-in microphones).
- One of the following compatible web browsers: Google Chrome (preferred), Mozilla Firefox, Safari, Internet Explorer 7, 8 or 9.
- The following plugins for the web camera: Adobe Flash Player v11; Adobe Shockwave player.
Upon completion of the equipment testing, students can log into the ProctorU site to schedule an examination. On the day of the examination, students log back into the ProctorU site at the appointed time and verify identity with a human proctor. This identity verification is done by showing the proctor, through the webcam, a photo ID. If the student cannot provide a valid photo ID, then the proctor will ask challenge questions to validate the student’s identity. Once ID has been satisfactorily verified, the proctor will connect with the student’s computer, enter the examination passcode (password) and proctor the examination in real time.
For additional information regarding ProctorU, students should visit the ProctorU website or may call or email the Help Desk (251-626-3303, Ext. 7162 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
Third-party Testing Center
Students who fall under one of the following categories may choose ProctorU or may use an approved third-party testing center for examination proctoring:
- Non-degree seeking students
- International students
- Active duty military students
Students who may have specific testing requirement issues must contact the Department of Student Services at email@example.com for permission to use an approved third-party testing center for examination proctoring.
For information concerning third-party testing centers click on the following links for guidelines and the proctor approval application or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.