U.S. SPORTS ACADEMY GRADUATE TEACHING ASSISTANTS
Mr. Ben Billman joins the Academy as a doctoral teaching assistant with over 10 years of athletic coaching and teaching experience. Billman most recently served as the Assistant Athletic Director at Ohio Christian University in Circleville, OH. He also serves as an instructor at the University teaching a sports-related course. He served as an assistant basketball coach at the school from 2007-10.
Billman, from Circleville, OH, received his master’s degree in Sport Management from Liberty University in 2013 and his bachelor’s degree in Sport Management from Taylor University in 2007. He was a four-year letterwinner on Taylor’s tennis team.
Ms. Tonya Butler-Collins joins the Academy as a doctoral teaching assistant with over 10 years of experience teaching health, physical education and recreation courses at the higher education level. She most recently served as an Assistant Professor of Health, Physical Education and Recreation at the University of North Georgia, in Dahlonega, GA. She has also taught classes at Gainesville State College and Georgia Perimeter College.
Butler-Collins, from Oakwood, GA, received her master’s degree in Recreation and Leisure Studies from the University of Georgia in Athens, GA, in 2006 and her bachelor’s degree in Recreation and Leisure Studies from Georgia in 2001.
She served in the US Army for six years and is a Gulf War Veteran, receiving several medals for her service. Butler-Collins has published a number of articles and made several presentations on health and fitness topics.
Mr. James Mattern joins the Academy after most recently working in the athletic department at Lock Haven University in Lock Haven, PA. He recently served as a graduate assistant in the athletics program and as the interim head coach of the school’s women’s swimming team.
Prior to working at Lock Haven, he worked in the sports information department at the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference. Mattern received his master’s degree in Sports Administration from Lock Haven in 2014 and his bachelor’s degree from the school in Sports Administration in 2012.
Mr. Cory Schierberl joins the Academy as a doctoral teaching assistant with over seven years of experience in the health and fitness profession. He most recently served as the Master Fitness Trainer Mobile Team Lead Instructor at Anautics, Inc., where he helped with the implementation of the US Army’s new physical readiness training course know as Master Fitness Trainer Course.
Prior to his position at Anautics, he served as the Director of Operations at the GO: Sports Performance Center. Schierberl received his master’s degree in Coaching Education in 2012 from Ohio University in Athens, OH and his bachelor’s degree in Nutrition and Community Health from The Ohio State University in Columbus, OH.
Ms. Sara Weber joins the Academy as a doctoral teaching assistant with over 20 years of experience working in sports communications. She most recently served as an editor at CBS Sports/Interactive in New York, NY. Weber also has several years of college sports information experience, working in the athletic departments at Hofstra University in Hempstead, NY, and the University of Tampa.
Weber, from Massapequa, NY, received her master’s degree from Hofstra, where she earned a degree in Communications. She received her bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism from Pennsylvania State University.
MAJOR PROGRAM EVENTS
- The National Senior League National Internet Bowling Championships will begin held the week of 10 August 2014.
- The 2014 World Congress on Special Needs Education will be held from 11-14 August 2014, at Temple University in Philadelphia, Pa.
- The 2014 World Leisure Congress will be held from 7-12 September 2014, in Mobile, Ala.
- The 2014 International Society for the History of Physical Education and Sport (ISHPES) Congress, “Global Perspectives on Sports and Physical Cultures: From Past to Present,” will be held from 22-25 September 2014, in Doha, Qatar.
- The 3rd World Scientific Congress of Combat Sports and Martial Arts will be hosted by the University of Rzeszow from 15-17 October 2014, in Rzeszów, Poland.
- The 12th International Symposium for Olympic Research will be hosted by the International Centre for Olympic Studies (ICOS) from 30-31 October 2014, at Western University in Ontario, Canada.
- The 2014 International Association for Physical Education in Higher Education (AIESEP) Specialist Seminar will be held on 7-9 November, 2014, in Timisoara, Romania.
- The 3rd edition of the seminar ‘Paths to Success: Inspiring Future Leaders in Sport’ will be hosted by the German Olympic Sports Confederation and the International Council of Sport Science and Physical Education from 14-16 November 2014 in Berlin, Germany.
- The Sports Movies and TV 2014 – 32nd Milano International FICTS fest will be held 3-8 December 2014, in Milano, Italy.
- The 2014 Sport Tourism Conference will be held from 10-12 December 2014, Coimbra, Portugal.
- The 2016 Summer Olympic Games will be held from 5-21 August 2016, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.