Academy Distance Learning Faculty Member Referenced in Recent Study Examining Baseball Fans
2015’s Best & Worst Cities for Baseball Fans
As baseball grows in popularity in the U.S. and abroad, issues related to the sport are bound to arise. For additional insight into the challenges facing the sport, frugal advice for enjoying the ballgame, and predictions on which teams will triumph, WalletHub asked a panel of leading sports experts to weigh in. Among the sports experts interviewed was Academy Distance Learning Faculty Member Dr. Michael Culpepper.
Read Dr. Michael Culpepper’s Interview with WallatHub
Academy Receives Donation from Dan Modzelewski
Central Illinois former school teacher, Mr. Dan Modzelewski, has had dreams of having his art hung on the walls of a museum like that of the American Sport Art Museum and Archives (ASAMA). ASAMA accepted his donation on Monday, 1 June 2015. Mr. Modzelewski’s art is a combination of charcoal and pastel drawings that depict baseball.
Academy Art Committee Chair Person Nancy Raia Helping to Give Back to Veterans
The Eastern Shore Art Center (ESAC) will be providing 3000 ceramic poppies made by the local community to be displayed at the Fairhope Veterans Memorial in Henry George Park on Wednesday, 11 November 2015. The display will be part of a memorial service for all veterans who have served in the military and the poppies will be for sale after the installation. Proceeds from the poppies will be donated to several charities that work with veterans.
Help to make Poppies for Veterans a success by volunteering for one of the art sessions at the ESAC. Call 251-928-2228 to make your reservation. Dates and times for sessions are available on the Poppies for Veterans Facebook.
Nancy Raia, Academy Art Committee Chair Person and Community Outreach Director for the Eastern Shore Art Center in Fairhope, Ala., has been busy this summer providing art classes to the Gulf Coast. From “Squeaky Sneakers” at Weeks Bay to “Read Aloud Bay Minette,” Ms. Raia has been connecting with the Eastern Shore and Mobile Bay. New programs for the summer have just been added to the class schedule.
How to Paint with Oils with Frances Fontaine ($65, $60 with Family Membership and above)
Eastern Shore Art Center | 7, 14, 21, 28 July @ 9 a.m. – noon
Beginning Soft Pastels with Jane Sellier ($50, $45 with Family Membership and above)
Eastern Shore Art Center | 10, 17, 24, 31 July @ 9 a.m. – noon
Academy National Faculty Member Dr. Joe Levy Organizing Conference for Exercise as Medicine
2016 Active Aging and Quality of Life International Conference and Exhibition
Hong Kong | 21-22 July 2016
Academy National Faculty member Dr. Joe Levy has assisted in the organization of the 2016 Active Aging and Quality of Life International Conference and Exhibition. The conference has been designed to explore the definition of active aging. The human race has reached a milestone because for the first time in the history of modern civilization, 20 percent of the world’s population is over 65. Those over 65 are also healthier and more engaged than their predecessors.
View the Event Details
Academy National Faculty Member Dr. Mike Spino Organizing Labor Day Event
Great Labor Day Mile
Duluth, Georgia | 7 September @ 8:00 a.m.
Academy National Faculty Member Dr. Mike Spino has assisted in the organization of the Great Labor Day Mile Race sponsored by USA Track and Field of Georgia. As part of the race, a special appearance will be made by Olympic Gold Medalist Sir Peter Snell, former New Zealand middle-distance runner.
View the Event Details
Major Upcoming Events:
- Symposium on Sports Science Engineering and Technology| Istanbul, Turkey, 10-13 May 2015
- Sport and Tourism in an Interconnected World| University of Limerick, Ireland, 15 May 2015
- Conference of ICPESS 2015| Grand Sahid Jakarta, Indonesia, 20-22 May 2015
- World Congress on Science and Football 2015| Copenhagen, Denmark, 20-23 May 2015
- 62nd Annual Meeting of ACSM| San Diego, Calif., 26-30 May 2015
- First European Games| Baku, Azerbaijan, 12-28 June 2015
- ECSS Malmo 20th Annual Congress Meeting| Malmö, Sweden, 24-27 June 2015
- World Children’s Festival| Washington, D.C., 30 June-2 July 2015
- National Sports Safety and Security Conference & Exhibition | Orlando Florida, 6-9 July 2015
- WADA Research Grant Programme – Call for Proposals | Due 13 July 2015
- 13th European Network of Sport Science, Education and Employment Forum | Rome, Italy, 9-11 September 2015
- 2016 Summer Olympic Games | Rio de Janerio, Brazil, 5-21 August 2016