The student’s internship experience is designed to provide actual, in-the-field training within the sports profession. In addition, the internship can help build a professional network. Progression through the internship is documented as follows:
- Students have one year from the date of registration to complete the required number of internship hours.
- During the internship, each month the student must submit a brief report summarizing internship activities and listing the number of hours accrued for that month. These monthly reports represent 33% of the student’s grade.
- With the first monthly report, the student must submit a photograph of him/herself with the intern; an action photograph is preferred.
- Each month, the intern must submit a brief monthly evaluation of the student’s progress and attest to the hours worked.
- After the required number of hours is complete, the student will write a comprehensive paper in APA format about the experience. This paper represents 33% of the grade.
Refer to the Internship Handbook for details on how to structure the final paper, but briefly, it should be 12-20 pages in length and formatted according to APA rules. The student must list each learning objective and how it was achieved. The student must also provide an analysis of whether the internship prepared him/her for future employment.
- Also, after the required hours are complete, the Intern will submit a final comprehensive evaluation of the student’s performance. This evaluation represents 33% of the student’s grade.
- To complete the internship experience, the Internship Advisor will conduct an oral interview with the student via phone. This interview represents 1% of the student’s grade. At this time, the student must also complete an end-of-course survey.
- Internship grades are recorded as Pass/Fail.