Military | Military Tuition Assistance | Army

army-icon Army

The Army Tuition Assistance program (ATA) is open to nearly all active-duty soldiers including those in the Army Reserve and the Army National Guard.  For details about restrictions about eligibility and use, please download the Army Continuing Education System Regulations.

ATA will cover 100 percent of tuition and fees up to the maximum amount of:
$250 per semester credit hour up to $4000 per fiscal year (16 semester hours)

Soldiers will be eligible for Army Tuition Assistance (ATA) upon successfully completing one year of military service following graduation from Advanced Individual Training.

Soldiers can use ATA for a second, higher-level degree (Post Bachelors) once they have ten years of service, if any portion of the undergraduate degree was funded with ATA.  There is no ten year requirement if ATA did not fund any portion of your undergraduate work.

Soldiers can utilize ATA to cover up to 130 semester hours toward a bachelor’s degree and 39 semester hours toward a graduate degree.

Soldiers may complete one degree at the bachelor’s and at the master’s level.

Applying for Army Tuition Assistance

(From the GoArmyEd website)

  • Request ATA through GoArmyEd prior to the course start date (late registration period).
  • Request ATA on a course-by-course basis.
  • A notification from GoArmyEd will be sent if your request for ATA has been approved or denied (If denied, GoArmyEd will advise you of the next step).
  • All dropped courses or withdrawals must take place through GoArmyEd.  If you receive an “F” you will be required to repay your ATA. If unable to complete a course due to your military duties, you must ensure that you withdraw from the course through GoArmyEd so that you will not be charged.
  • If you would like to take a course from a school that does not participate in the electronic GoArmyEd course schedule, you must still complete an ATA request.  The request will be routed to an Army education counselor/Reserve ESS to be reviewed and approved.  Allow extra time for this process.  If approved, you will receive notification via email.  You will then need to print the approved ATA request form and provide it to the Academy.  You will enroll directly with the university.
  • You must submit a new, signed ATA Statement of Understanding each year (SFC and above may sign for themselves and the commander). Your ATA request will not be authorized until the ATA SOU is approved.  You will receive a notice from GoArmyEd 90 days before the due date.