Eligible active-duty members of the U.S. Coast Guard may receive Coast Guard Tuition Assistance (CGTA) for classes taken off-duty. CGTA may fund courses for eligible participants 75 percent of the amount paid for tuition and fees up to the maximum amount of:
• $187.50 per semester credit hour and reflects the 75% reduction
• $3375 per fiscal year and reflects the 75% reduction of $4500
• 6 semester hours per fiscal quarter
If your education service officer uses the automated TA process via the NKO Portal, you may access the NKO website here: https://www.nko.navy.mil/
You may access the SOP on how to complete the WEBTA process here:http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg1/cgi/active_duty/pay_for_college/ta/
The following rules apply to Coast Guard Members applying for CGTA
- Coast Guard members must be on active duty or a Reservist on long-term orders greater than 180 days.
- CGTA is available for undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
- Credit hours are counted from course start dates.
- If applicable, Coast Guard members must show satisfactory progress toward completion of unit qualifications.
- If applicable, Coast Guard members must satisfactory progress toward watch station qualifications.
- Coast Guard members must display satisfactory proficiency of craft.
- Coast Guard members must have satisfactory conduct during the six months prior.
- Enlisted members must complete all courses authorized by CGTA prior to discharge retirement or RELAD.
- Officers must complete one year of service after completion of the authorized course.
- TA is available to members seeking their first degree. TA is no longer authorized for members pursuing an additional degree at the same or lower level.