Upon receipt of a bachelor’s degree, students are expected to assume regional, national, or international positions in the development, delivery, or administration of sport or sport education programs. Those already employed in sport or sport education are expected to have enhanced skills, knowledge, and understanding, which will promote the advancement of sport, sport education, or sports sciences.
The specific goals of the bachelor’s degree program are derived from the mission of the Academy. These goals and objectives are as follows:
- The Academy has identified seven general education goals to prepare students for course work. In support of the Academy’s mission, the goals and objectives are to prepare educated individuals who are able to:
- Apply critical and independent thinking to real world issues
- Demonstrate the ability to clearly articulate ideas in writing
- Demonstrate problem solving capabilities through an expanded vision of the sport discipline
- Analyze and illustrate with conviction issues of significance in their chosen disciplines
- Identify ethical principles applied in the world of sport and life in general
- Synthesize learned theories and relate those theories in practical environments
- Evaluate issues and trends pertaining to the world of sport
- The faculty and staff of the Academy provide the necessary tools for students to accomplish the goals listed above by:
- Demonstrating the appropriate skill sets to work in the profession of sport at various levels of sport from amateur through professional
- Applying theoretical information and putting that information into practice within sport disciplines
- Providing materials necessary for students to gain the knowledge, skills, and practical abilities to succeed in the discipline of the sport major being studied
- Increasing computer literacy by utilizing current computer technology and applications across the curriculum to develop research skills and computer literacy for academic settings, workforce development, and lifelong learning
- Increasing students’ awareness of the need for a personal philosophy and the importance of ethical principles related to their chosen professions and life in general
- Providing practical experiences in areas of sport discipline in which the student can fully test the knowledge and skills required in real life experiences under qualified interns.
A cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 is required for graduation.
Internship – The Culminating Experience
The Academy’s internship program is a practical learning experience planned, supervised, and evaluated for credit by faculty and field supervisors. It enables a student to apply the knowledge gained through course work while under the direct supervision of a leader in the student’s chosen field. Internship study can provide many opportunities for valuable practical experiences, since the student can select, within established guidelines, both the site and the type of experience desired.
Experiencing a internship is an excellent opportunity to work side-by-side with experts in the sports profession in order to build professional competence through planning, performing, and reflecting on the core responsibilities of a practitioner in the sports industry. The internship can also provide a student the opportunity of building a network with industry professionals. Students are advised to contact the internship office to discuss possible internship ideas prior to initiating the necessary paperwork.