Environmental Management System
The Academy is committed to protecting the health of its faculty, staff, students, visitors, neighbors, and the natural environment. The Academy will use its resources and encourage faculty, staff, and students to take a leadership role to promote environmental awareness, education, and action. The Academy will follow guidelines as outlined in the EPAs Guide for Colleges and Universities which can be found at www.epa.gov. An electronic copy of the guide is also found on the Shared directory: EH&S Committee folder. A brief synopsis follows.
The purpose of the Academy’s EMS Policy is to:
- utilize natural resources effectively
- minimize environmental impacts
- reduce waste
Compliance: The foundation of the EMS program is achieving and maintaining compliance with laws, regulations, and other requirements and obligations. Where practical, we will strive to exceed and go beyond compliance with laws and regulations.
Stewardship: Administration, faculty, staff, and students are empowered to identify the significant environmental aspects of our operations and design and implement programs to minimize impacts on human health and the environment on campus and in the community.
Training: Working with established training programs, each supervisor must take the initiative to train and/or manage the training of the employees and students under his/her supervision in safe work practices.
Sustainability – Reduce, Reuse, Recycle: Efforts will be made to use processes, practices, materials, or products that avoid or reduce pollution. This may include process changes, efficient use of resources, material substitutions, and recycling.
Audit and Improve Accountability: Internal staff and/or outside parties will conduct periodic audits and management reviews of the EMS to identify areas for improvement. Corrective action will be taken to address recommendations. As objectives and targets are met, new goals will be established in order to continuously improve environmental performance.
Documentation and Record: We will continue to document and record all monitoring of all protocols.
EMS Program Protocol
- All work and functional activities will be administered with the utmost concern for their environmental impact.
- The Academy will pursue a sound program for energy efficiency and conservation.
- The Academy will ensure that proper handling and disposal be conducted for all hazardous waste materials.
- The Academy will seek alternatives to products which are environmentally detrimental.
- All faculty and staff are encouraged to implement, take part of, and update periodically an awareness program of education in the conservation of energy, the recycling of materials, and the handling of hazardous waste.