Students who enrolled in the Master’s Degree Program before 1 September 2010 are required to sit for the Master’s Comprehensive Examination.
Students entering the Master’s Degree Program between 1 September 2010 and 1 January 2014 are enrolled in a Master’s Portfolio based on the conditions of the catalog under which they entered the program. Students may find complete information about the Master’s Portfolio in this document.
Students enrolling in the Master’s Degree Program AFTER 1 January 2014 must select one of three academic track options before completing their Core Courses. The three-track options are:
- Thesis Option (student will be enrolled in the Master’s Portfolio). Students may find complete information about the Master’s Portfolio in this document.
- Non-Thesis Option (student takes three additional courses in lieu of writing a thesis or completing an Internship and must sit for the Master’s Comprehensive Examination at the end of their program of study.
- Internship Option (student completes an Internship in lieu of the Thesis and Non-Thesis options and must sit for the Comprehensive Examination at the end of their program of study.
Students who elect the Thesis Option will be enrolled in the Master’s Portfolio. Students selecting the Non-Thesis Option or the Internship Option will take a Comprehensive Examination at the end of their program of study.
Master’s Comprehensive Examinations are offered off-campus only and are offered on the third Thursday and Friday of each month, with the exception of December. The examination is not offered in December.
Each monthly exam will be limited to 15 students on a first come, first served basis and there will be no exceptions. See the Academic Calendar posted on the website for examination dates.
It is highly recommended that the examination be taken between the hours of 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM (Central Time) in order that Academy personnel may properly monitor and assist students if administrative problems occur.
The application process for the Master’s Off-Campus Comprehensive Examination is as follows:
- Fill out the Master’s Off-Campus Comprehensive Exam Application
- Provide the appropriate information and pay the necessary fees.
- The student will be emailed a confirmation from the Registrar’s office stating the student is registered for that examination date.
- Student will be notified when the examination course shell is open.
- Students who schedule an examination and do not show will forfeit all fees.
Please note that taking the comprehensive exam or being enrolled solely in the Portfolio does not retain a student in an enrolled status and thus, a student cannot request a student loan deferment based on taking the comprehensive exam or Portfolio enrollment.
For instructions on studying and taking the graduate comprehensive exams, refer to the guides posted below.